Ultimate Packing Checklist for Winter in New England
If you’re wondering what to pack for New England winter getaways, take it from a local: you’d better be prepared. While winter offers gorgeous, dramatic scenes worthy of Ansel Adams’ photography, when temperatures drop, it literally takes your breath away.
I’ve created this Ultimate Packing Checklist for Winter in New England to tell you everything you’ll need to bring.
Whether you plan to explore New England’s photographic beauty, snuggle up by the fire, or enjoy winter sports, don’t miss the printable packing checklist download to make packing easy for your New England winter getaways. Bonus: It even covers survival gear.)
What to Expect | New England Weather
Winter in New England typically arrives without warning as cold, dry air rushes in and the days become shorter.
It’s cold, but you can’t help but admire the scenic beauty New England offers through the winter months. The glimmer of snow and chill in the air compliments its classic charm.
New England weather is notoriously unpredictable—try as they might!
The region averages 60 to 120 inches (1,500 to 3,000 mm) of snow each year, and temperatures typically range between a high of 45 degrees (F) and a bitter low of 0 degrees and below. B-r-r-r-r!
While visiting, you might experience your first “nor’ easter” one day, followed by blue sky and sunshine the next.
Mother Nature might dump a foot or more of snow overnight, creating a snow-capped winter wonderland.
Or, she might pummel you with cold, icy, wind-swept rain, coating bare branches with a sparkling layer of ice and making driving treacherous.
New Englanders are tough and resilient with good reason.
Snow and storm predictions can change at a moment’s notice, for better or worse. My advice? Don’t buy into news hype, but be prepared.
The best advice may be, “Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised.” (Source: Dennis Waitley)
Sometimes, you’ll luck out with a “warm” bright day in the 40s after a deep freeze, finding the perfect for ice-skating or skiing.
[bctt tweet=””Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised.” These words of wisdom apply to winter in New England! (Click for winter packing tips.)” username=”enjoytravellif1″]
25 Things to Do in New England in the Winter
Looking for things to do in New England in the Winter? With mountainous landscapes and coastal areas, it’s is a prime destination for outdoor winter sports and other activities, or just to enjoy the magical scenery.
Here are 25 Winter Activities in New England I suggest you try:
- Hit the ski slopes.
- Photograph the natural scenic beauty…it’s everywhere!
- Take up snowshoeing.
- Try tubing!
- Go ice skating at a pop-up outdoor rink or on a lake.
- Visit ice sculptures on display across the region.
- Go ice-fishing!
- Take a mountain drive for the most spectacular views.
- Snuggle up under warm blankets with a window cracked open for cool air.
- Talk a winter walk in the woods. (Don’t forget to watch for wildlife tracks in the snow!)
- Catch snowflakes on your tongue.
- Go sledding!
- Make snowcones with freshly fallen snow topped with maple syrup.
- Cozy up with a hot cup of cocoa (or hot toddy) in a charming bed-and-breakfast.
- Explore the beauty and charm of historic New England villages.
- Hunt for antiques and vintage goods in the village.
- Make or eat a hearty, hot soup on a cold day.
- Take your selfie in a festive gazebo on the town Common.
- Taste an (clean) icicle.
- Go snowmobiling!
- Read a book beside a roaring fire.
- Make a snowman or “angel-wings”–nevermind your age…it’s fun!
- Stargaze on a crisp winter evening.
- Birdwatch through the window of a warm room.
- Take a romantic sleigh ride.
How to Dress for New England Winter Getaways
Locals know how to dress for winter in New England. It’s essential to enjoying the season.
When you’re visiting New England in wintertime, remember to:
- Dress in layers
- Bring warm winter clothing
- Pack waterproof layers
- Be prepared for storm conditions
The layers are especially important becuase you’ll be going from sometimes frigid outdoor environments to toasty warm interiors.
And, don’t be the least bit bothered by the weather during your New England winter getaway.
With so much to see and do amidst New England’s majestic winter beauty, if you pack properly, you’ll hardly mind the cold.
Free Printable Packing List
I’ve created this FREE printable “Ultimate New England Winter Packing Checklist“ to help you pack for your winter visit to New England.
It even includes survival gear, should your lodging arrangements be independent.
What do you like to do on a wintery day?
Here’s the Instant Download packing list:
Ultimate Packing Checklist for New England in Winter
Ready for beautiful winter scenes and outdoor fun in New England? Make sure you pack right for it!
Download your FREE Printable from Enjoy Travel Life today.
Stock photos courtesy of Pixabay.com.