Have you ever wanted to take a drive without a specific destination in mind just to get a change of scenery? How do you decide which direction and get a general idea of what’s within driving range so you can have an amazing day trip? You use a driving radius map tool, that’s how. Read on to find out more about this helpful trip planning tool.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more information. As an affiliate, I earn a small commission every time you make a qualifying purchase through one of my affiliate links (if applicable).
CONTENTS: In this article, you will discover how a driving radius map can help you plan an amazing day trip, including our top picks for apps.
- Why Use A Map Radius Tool?
- How to Use a Map Radius Tool
- Map Radius Tool Options
- Other Ways to use a Map Radius Tool
- Final Thoughts
One day, a friend of mine texted me asking where she and her husband should go on an impromptu day trip. The only constraint they had was driving time: they didn’t want to drive more than an hour and a half from home.
I thought about the best destinations, but knew using a driving radius map tool would be the best way to help her plan her day trip.
Related: Have you considered these Advantages & Disadvantages of Travelling by Car?
Why Use a Driving Radius Map Tool?
With so many options for a road trip, a driving radius map tool can help you determine what’s within range from your present location.
Because, let’s face it, part of the problem when planning a road trip is deciding where to go!
Mapping out a radius can narrow down your choices and help determine the driving direction. There are a couple of ways you can do this.
The most basic example is an old fashioned compass from a geometry set. It has a point on one side and a pencil lead inserted in the other, so you can rotate a mark around the center point.
By setting the distance between the two sides equal to the distance you’d like to travel on the map’s key, a quick spin of the compass will show you the destinations in range.
A more rudimentary compass might be a tack with a piece of string tied to a pencil.
For a little fun and random whimsy, you could even take your chances by tossing darts at a wall map.
But, you have more technologically precise options available.
Best Radius Map Apps & Tools
Radius Maps for Android
There are several free radius app tools for Android and IOS.
One app that I like for my iPhone (IOS) is “Radius: Distance From Me.” It highlights a circle around the towns and destinations within a certain distance from a location.
It offers the most basic, convenient features to measure distance in kilometers, meters, miles, or feet. You can opt for a traditional, satellite, or hybrid view of the map.
It really doesn’t get any easier.
How to use Radius: Distance From Me
- Indicate your starting destination or allow GPS to locate you.
- Indicate how far you want to go and what unit of measure (Kilometers, meters, miles, or feet_
- Hit the search arrow.
The “Radius: Distance From Me” app draws a radius around your location on the map, to show you all of the streets, towns and areas of interest you might consider.
You can zoom in or out for detail or to get a birds-eye view of your options.
It’s that simple.
Tip: If you want to measure your distance in time with this app, estimate about 65 miles/hour for highway trips (assuming the speed limit); less if you’re traveling back roads.
OALLEY Map Radius Tool (Mobile Friendly)
OALLEY is a full-featured, interactive application, designed with more comprehensive options, such as:
- Measure radius based on distance or time
- Specify mode of transportation, such as by car, walking, cycling
- Consider speed limits and type of road traveled
- Depict the radius as a circle or a polygon along town borders
- Import your own data points using an Excel spreadsheet.
- Use layers to organize areas (region, country, etc.) within your maps
- Save and share maps
- Get zip codes, population and employment analysis, and custom reports (Premium).
This map radius tool was definitely created with a more professional use in mind, but I found it super helpful in planning a day trip.
How to Use OALLEY Map Radius Tool:
- Enter an address
- Enter a distance or travel time
- Hit “Compute”
If you explore the app documentation, you’ll find reference to two new (to me) terms used in geography and urban planning that are interesting as they relate to planning a road trip.
- Isochrone: A line connecting points related to arriving at the same time
- Isodistance: The distance you can realistically travel given road condition, traffic, and other factors.
Other Ways to Use A Radius Map
In addition to using a map radius tool like Radius: Distance from Me and Oalley to plan a fun day-trip, you could use it to plan:
- A hyper-local trip to create a self-guided walking tour
- Longer road trips, say several hours drive away
- Reasonable expectations and options on a multi-day itinerary
Other Essentials for Your Next Road Trip
- Lanmodo Night Vision System – Worried about a lack of visibility when driving in the evening? If so then consider investing in the Lanmodo Night Vision System. Retailing for $499.00 each, this amazing product includes free worldwide shipping, the latest in premium night vision technology, and a high definition backup camera for added safety. You also get everything you need to quickly and easily set up this amazing device inside your personal vehicle, including a charger for your cigarette lighter, an in-car adapter, a non-slip mat, a multi-functional input cable, a suction cup, and a mini-screwdriver. More than that though, this full color, high resolution, 8.2 ” screen with impressive 360-degree views can even be used on rainy and foggy days, helping to improve your overall field of vision under dangerous driving conditions.
- AudioBooksNow – When driving over long distances, it can be difficult to stay focused and entertained since many of your favorite radio stations are continually fading in and out of listening range. However, you can easily remedy this issue when you download some of the fantastic audiobooks available at AudioBooksNow. Because whether you’re an avid reader or someone who hasn’t picked up a book in years, they have the perfect plan for you! Simply choose among the millions of best-selling books that they have on offer and begin the adventure of a lifetime. Plus, with their affordable Club Pricing Plan, you pay just $5 per month (after an initial 30-day free trial) and then enjoy 50% off your first purchase of the month, as well as an additional 35-40% off of every additional purchase thereafter.
- Garmin Drive 51 Navigation System – Regardless of the cell phone carrier you use, you’ll never be able to get a constant signal throughout the United States. Therefore, you can’t completely rely on your mobile device to provide you with accurate directions. And that’s why the Garmin Drive 51 is so useful. Not only will it automatically update your directions if and when you get lost, but it’s well priced, features reliable GPS navigation that rarely drops a signal, and comes with a wealth of maps that are preloaded onto your device. So, with the click of a button, your selected route will pop up on the high-definition, five-inch dual-orientation, 480 X 272-pixel screen. A display area that will automatically update you of any treacherous weather conditions that might arise during your journey.
- Mini Car Vacuum – Regardless of how meticulous you are, accidents are going to happen. Therefore, you’ll need a compact but powerful device to efficiently clean up your car. Something like this highly portable, easy to use, 12-volt HOTOR car vacuum. It’s exceptionally well designed, comes in three fantastic colors, is long-lasting, and high-powered enough to pick up any mess you throw at it. It also has a 16.4-foot extension cord that features a built-in car charger at one end and a bright LED light that is perfectly complemented by three distinct nozzle heads. However, to keep the surrounding air free from allergens, this nifty vacuum also features a stainless steel HEPA filter and a nice little, easy-t-detach dust cup that makes clean up a breeze.
- Cartman 148 Piece Tool Set – If you are ever unlucky enough to experience car trouble during a road trip, you’ll want a comprehensive tool kit to help you get back on the road. And this Cartman brand product will help you do just that since it is well stocked with 148 essential tools and has received tons of positive reviews from happy customers. All of the items in this set are also heat treated and chrome plated for exceptional durability. Additionally, all Cartman products are designed to exceed ANSI critical standard and can be easily stowed away inside their custom-designed case.
- WeBoost Cell Phone Signal Booster – I love road trips. But, it can be difficult to stay connected when you’re constantly on the move and your phone never has a signal. However, WeBoost cell phone signal booster is here to help since it covers up to 1,500 square feet of space, results in fewer dropped calls, faster internet speeds, and improved sound quality. It even has a desktop antenna that can easily be placed atop any flat service, features tool-free installation, is fully compatible with any cell phone carrier in the US, and is 5G ready.
So, how did it end? Where did my friend’s road trip take her?
After looking at their options on a Radius Map Tool, she and her husband took an hour-and-a-half drive to explore a beautiful New England farm town in southern New Hampshire.
It was a lovely destination that might not have otherwise been on their radar.
How far do you like to travel for a day trip?
This article may contain affiliate links. As always, all opinions expressed are my own. For more information, please see the following Disclosure.
When to Visit 36 Dreamy Destinations
You will instantly receive the FREE Month-by-Month Destination Guide