Making plans for summer in New England? You’ll have a great time, as summertime promises quite a bit of sun and warm weather. But you’ll find some unpredictable weather in summer, too, so it is important to pack accordingly.
That’s why we’ve put together this Packing Checklist. That way, you can prepare for all that a New England summer has to offer and have the time of your life!
CONTENTS – In this article, you will learn what you need to know about packing for summer in New England. You can also cut to the chase and download this free printable packing list to get organized. Or, keep reading to find out:
- Is Summer a Good Time to Visit New England?
- What is New England Weather Like in Summer?
- Packing Essentials for a New England Summer
- Things to See and Do in New England
- Final Thoughts on Summer in New England
Is Summer a Good Time to Visit New England?
There’s a reason people flock to New England during the summer season.
It’s the time when the mountainous landscapes and beach-side towns flourish under the bright summer sun.
Summertime in New England welcomes vibrant-blue skies and warm temperatures, making it the perfect spot for outdoor activities and adventures.
Summer is always a great time to get outside and enjoy nature.
From kicking-back and relaxing on the sandy beaches of Cape Cod to hiking through New Hampshire, or sleeping under the stars at a campground in Maine, New England has something to offer all types of travelers.
You’ll also find plenty of festivals and events held across the region, ranging from sandcastle competitions, jazz celebrations and of course lobster– and chowder-themed festivities for food lovers.
What is New England Weather Like in Summer?
New England summers can be very hot and humid, so do make sure to dress accordingly. But it’s not really until late June and early July that the real beach weather arrives.
During summer in the New England region, temperatures can average from 70 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit, but don’t be surprised by some days that reach the mid 90s (or higher)!
What Should I Pack for a Summer Trip to New England?
Here are some key tips for packing for your vacation in New England:
- Wear cooling fabrics
- Layer your outfits
- Bring waterproof gea
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Bring sun-protective gear or lotion
- Don’t forget your beach-wear!
For the full details and a handy checklist on what to pack for the season, click here for access to our free Summer in New England Packing Checklist printable. It covers everything you need to pack when you visit.
Because of the high temperatures and humidity, you’ll want to bring along some clothing made of cooling fabrics and plenty of SPF protection. And for the occasional rainy days and thunderstorms, remember to pack some waterproof gear as well!
What to See & Do in New England: Our Recommendations
New England includes 5 states in the Northeastern United States. They include:
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
Each offers it’s own unique taste of New England!
Based on our experience, here are a few suggestions for things to do in New England when you visit:
- Explore the beach towns of Cape Cod
- Take a short seaside hike on The Knob in Falmouth, MA
- Enjoy fresh seafood at a romantic restaurant in Boston’s North End
- Check out the most haunted destinations in Boston
- Take a day trip to Salem
- Visit Martha’s Vineyard for the weekend
- Tour the best wineries and vineyards in New England
- Take a culture trip to New England’s Art Museums
- Dine Out in the Berkshires and visit the Norman Rockwell Museum
- Explore beautiful Bailey Island, Maine
- Eat the freshest seafood in Brunswick Maine
- Stay at Boston’s best 5-Star Hotel in Back Bay
- Visit the glorious Newport Mansions in Rhode Island
- Tour verdant Manchester Vermont
Final Thoughts on Packing for Summer in New England
So, there you have it. The information you need to pack for a wonderful vacation this summer in New England. We know you’re gonna love New England as much as we do!
And, remember to click here to download your free, detailed packing list to make sure you have everything you need.
When to Visit 36 Dreamy Destinations
You will instantly receive the FREE Month-by-Month Destination Guide