Planning a romantic getaway? This travel bucket list for couples highlights the 5 top romantic getaways in the world.
Whether you’ve been in love for 5 months or 50 years, you can’t go wrong with these incredible, romantic destinations.
Check them out to decide which one is the best fit for you and your special someone.
Editor’s Note: We updated this article in September 2022 to keep it up to date!
CONTENTS – In this article, you will learn about the top 5 romantic getaways around the world that belong on any travel bucket list for couples, including:
- Bucket List Ideas for Couples
- Walt Disney World Resort
- Florence, Italy
- Hoi An, Vietnam
- Final Thoughts on A Travel Bucket List for Couples
- Next Steps
Bucket List – Couples | Travel Bucket List for Couples in Love
Ah, l’amour. Is there anything like it?
If you’re a couple in love, then going travelling can be a joy. There is nothing like going to a carefree destination and simply enjoying yourself as though you don’t have a care in the world.
Vacations with a lover are a chance for you to feel alive and spend all those special moments with a person you care about deeply.
But if you’re in love, where should you go?
Let’s take a look at five bucket list destinations you should certainly add to your travel bucket list for couples!
Before we begin, I’d like to invite you to download my FREE Bucket List Planner Worksheet. It’s a fillable, printable resource you can keep handy whenever you hear about great destinations. It will help you prioritize your dream vacations, and you’ll be more organized when your top destinations are in plain sight. That way, you’ll always have a trip to look forward to!
1. Walt Disney World Resort
Disney World in Orlando, Florida is where it all began.
It’s the original theme park and offers incredible experiences that you and your partner can share.
It truly belongs on your travel bucket list for couples!
Don’t worry, it’s not all about the amusement park thrills (which are very fun), but the themes as well. You’ll enjoy shows galore, plenty of individual theme parks, amazing hotels, and opportunities to go golfing or boating.
One of my favorite things to do at Disney is simply to float gently in a tube along the crystal clear water parks. It’s such a soothing experience!
Walt Disney World Resort is enormous and exciting, so you’ll always find something going on you can do together.
It’s even just fun to walk around and see the place in action. But here are a few of the most romantic things to do at Disney:
- Plan a romantic dinner at Victoria and Alberts, a 5 diamond, award-winning restaurant in the luxurious Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
- Take romantic strolls through the most charming places in the world at Epcot. While there, enjoying delicious world foods and drinks, you can kiss under the Eiffel Tower (Paris), at the Trevi Fountain (Rome), or in the Cherry Blossom Gardens (China)—all in a single day!
- Get a couple’s massage at any of Disney World’s six five star spas, like the Dolphin Hotel
- Book a charter cruise with private dining and enjoy a romantic dinner under the stars and fireworks
If you’re looking for something more traditional, you’ll want to check out the Italian city of Florence.
This unique place is probably the most romantic and friendliest city on Earth right now (sorry Paris), owing to its beautiful food and the sheer number of friendly people who throng its streets.
There are so many things to do and see in this enchanting city. You might like to do some of the most romantic things for couples in Florence, like:
- Take a walk on the ancient Ponte Vecchio bridge and window-shop fine jewelry
- Climb to the top of the Duomo, the largest cathedral in the middle of the town, to enjoy a dreamy view of the city
- Tour historic Florence in a horse-drawn carriage, or fiaccherai. This traditional Florentine horse and carriage leaves from Piazza del Duomo and Piazza Signoria daily, and will navigate you through hidden laneways of the city.
- Enjoy a chamber music performance, opera, ballet, or a modern dance show at the theatre, like Teatro Goldini, near Pitti Palace
- Dine on incredible food, drink, and ambiance just about wherever you find yourself in Florence
Related Article: Find out where to see the Best Sunset over Florence Italy here.
If you are looking for somewhere with sun and sand, then consider the Bahamas, which are just a few hundred miles off the coast of Florida. It’s a great addition to your travel bucket list for couples.
Note that you may need a fiancé visa or other visa extension if you plan on spending longer than a month in the Bahamas.
The Bahamian islands offer great spas and restaurants and, if you have the budget for it, you can even rent an entire island to yourselves with boats bringing your supplies from the mainland. (How romantic!)
In fact, you’ll find a great range of experiences, from the bustling city of Nassau and Paradise Island, to the tranquil, pink-sand beaches in the Bahamas Out Islands.
Some of the most romantic things you can do in the Bahamas include:
- Enjoy a tasty rum punch while you relax on the sugar sand beaches.
- Swim in the warm turquoise waters of the Caribbean Ocean (with dolphins or pigs, if you like!)
- Kayak through the mangroves, where you’ll see marine life, like turtles, rays, and tropical fish
- Go sailing or take a glass-bottomed boat tour
- Enjoy local culinary delights, like conch fritters, conch salad, baked grouper, and rock lobsters.
Related: If you think you’ll want to stay for the winter, here are the Best Caribbean Islands for Snowbirds.
Patagonia is a vast expense of South America replete with mountain landscapes, glaciers and stunning high-altitude lakes.
You’ll need to be fit to make your way around, but if you can handle the elevation, the spectacular views you’ll see are totally worth it.
Patagonia stretches across many national parks, including Mount Fitzroy, El Chalten, and Torres del Paine.
You have several options for getting to Patagonia. Older couples tend to fly, while younger ones get to it on Ruta 40.
However you arrive, here are some of the most romantic things you might like to do in Patagonia as a couple:
- Take a surreal walk together on the Poreto Morena Glacier
- Practice yoga or meditation together, or take a full-on couple’s retreat surrounded by the natural beauty of the environment
- Indulge in sampling Bariloche’s famous chocolate
- Glimpse the majesty of southern right whales from land at Playa El Doradillo
Related: If you love nature vacations, check out these Best Island Destinations for Wildlife.
Hoi An, Vietnam
Hoi An is probably the best-kept secret in all of southeast Asia.
This attractive little city looks a bit like Venice and it is perfect for couples on a budget. The town isn’t too big or too small.
That makes it an excellent addition to your travel bucket list for couples!
And it’s close to a river lined with stunning lanterns that come alive in the evenings.
You can take boat tours of the area and then pull into the river bank when you see a restaurant that you like.
- Take a cyclo ride through Hoi An’s Old Town at night
- Ride a beautifully lit lantern boat down the river
- Enjoy cocktails at one of the many city cafes and bars
- Dine at the popular restaurant, Mango Rooms while overlooking the river from the balcony
- Purchase lanterns from local vendors and then put them in the river and make a wish. What is more romantic than that?
Related: Click here to learn more about Tea Culture from Around the World.
Download your FREE Romance Packages Guide below
so you can spice up your hotel stays!
Final Thoughts on Bucket List Destinations for Couples
So now you know why these 5 destinations for your travel bucket list for couples made our top our recommendations.
Perhaps one of them especially resonated with you–or maybe they all did. In that case, you better go ahead and make your 5-year plan to visit one each year as a couple. If you need more inspiration on fabulous destinations, these 5 destinations are also amazing!
No doubt, you’ll make unforgettable memories and be happy you did.
About the Author: Jackie Gately
I'm Jackie Gately, your travel confidante and the creative force behind Enjoy Travel Life, awarded the "Best Casual-Luxury Lifestyle Blog (USA)" in Travel and Tourism by LUXlife Magazine for four consecutive years With 25 years of published expertise, I'm a seasoned writer, editor, and photographer curating inspiring travel guides and lifestyle tips for empty nesters. I hope to kindle your spirit of exploration, encouraging you to overcome obstacles and turn your dreams into reality. Learn to minimize your pre-travel angst and maximize the joy of exploration with insights from my experiences. Let's make every adventure a celebration of this exciting phase of life! Follow my social channels for more inspiration.
To continue reading about romantic getaways and things to do for couples, head over to these articles next:
- Most Romantic Places in Ireland: 19 Amazing Couples Getaway Spots
- Top Sailing Vacations for Couples | 3 Romantic Sea Adventures for Empty-Nesters
- 3 Santorini Greece Luxury Villas That Are Perfect for A Romantic Honeymoon
- Top Romantic Day Trips in PA That Will Make Your Getaway Sizzle!
- Romantic Tel Aviv Vacation: Find the Best Stays & Couples Activities
- Most Romantic Hotel Experiences Around the World
- Romantic North End Seafood Restaurant Celebrates Feast of the 7 Fishes
- First Time, Fun Things to Do in Miami for Couples, Kids & Others
- Key West Vacations for Couples Let You Escape to Comfortable Luxury
- 31 Couples Staycation Ideas You & Your Special Guy Will Love 
- 5 Quick and Amazing Couples Getaway Destinations
- 5 Elegant Bed and Breakfasts in Cape Cod For Couples
- Cape Cod Honeymoon | How to Pick the Best Honeymoon Hotel in Cape Cod
- 51 Steamy Romance Packages That Will Spice Up Couples Getaway
- The Ultimate Guide: How To Select The Right Journey Locations?
Don’t forget to save this article for later on Pinterest!
Photo credits: Disney – Alyssa Eakin, Florence – Ali Nuredini, Patagonia – Hans-Jürgen Weinhardt (Unsplash); All other photos courtesy of Canva Pro.