When you know how to wear a fedora hat, you can elevate your whole style. In addition to the practical benefits, fedora hat style for women suits almost every setting, from casual beach days to black tie events. Learn how you can look amazing in a fedora hat, below.
CONTENTS – In this article, you will learn about looking your best in fedora hats, including:
- Brief Guide to Wearing Fedoras
- History of Fedora Hats
- What is a Fedora?
- Famous Fedora-Wearing Women
- Practical Benefits of Wearing Fedoras
- Tips to Wear Fedora Hats for Women
- How to Choose the Right Fedora
- How to Wear a Fedora for Women
- Final Thoughts on How to Wear a Fedora Hat
A Brief Guide to Wearing Women’s Wide-Brimmed Fedora Hats
Before you lean about how to wear a fedora hat, you’ll be interested to know about its past. A few things might surprise you. Find out more, below.
History of Fedora Hats
The fedora has always been a popular accessory for men. However, thanks to style trends and retro vibes, fashion designers and brands recommend fedoras as a stylish hat for women, too.
What is a Fedora?
A fedora is a hat with an indented crown and a soft brim that typically extends about two-and-a-half inches around. The tops are typically creased lengthwise with a pinch near the front. Some have a band of ribbon at the base of the crown.
Fedoras came into fashion for dapper men in the early twentieth century. They were something of a status symbol.
But it was a woman who made the fedora famous.
Famous Women Wearing Fedoras
Sarah Bernhardt, a French actress, wore one in the play Fédora (1880). It wasn’t long before the fedora hat became symbolic in the women’s rights movements.
They fell out of favor with women for a short while, in association with the gangsters of prohibition days. But it wasn’t long before they returned to fashion.
On the celeb circuit today, you’ll see plenty of fashion designers and actresses flaunting their fedoras, including:
- Sienna Miller
- Nicole Richie
- Victoria Beckham
- Lindsay Lohan
Of course, you don’t have to be a celebrity to wear a fedora. The right hat will inspire confidence, elegance, grace, and sophistication on any occasion.
Women’s fedoras showcase style and design. You’ll find them in a variety of materials and colors to suit your taste. The material, color, brim size, crown shape, crown dent, edge, band, and taper of a fedora make the style possibilities seem endless!
But they also have practical appeal.
9 Practical Benefits of Wearing a Fedora Hat
If you’ve assumed that fedora hats should be worn only during the summer and spring, you are very much mistaken. Wearing a fedora at any time is a great way to refresh your style and fashion.
In addition to making a fashion statement, you’ll enjoy several practical benefits of wearing a fedora hat.
- The brim helps protect your skin from the sun’s damaging UV rays
- Keeps rain off your head
- Wool and felt fedoras keep you warm
- Protects your hair from drying out or losing color in the sun
- Helps shield your eyes from bright sunlight
- Prevents hair from being windblown on windy days (or in a convertible!)
- Helps create some mystery around your identity
- Balances out the look of a long face or elongated features
- Provides a grown-up alternative to a baseball cap
Related Post: How to plan a capsule wardrobe for your beach vacation.
Wearing Fedora Hats for Style
A Fedora is an excellent style and fashion investment and worn in all seasons. You may opt for wool and felt Fedoras or opt for breathable, lightweight, and braided straw Fedora hats to take your style to the next level.
In any case, to make a fashion statement with your fedora, follow these tips below. They’ll help you look ravishing in your fedora hat.
Tips to Wear Fedora Hats for Women
- Classic fedoras are usually worn in neutral shades of gray, ivory, black, or tan. However, you can choose from this wide brim fedora hat womens collection for bright colors and bold patterns. Colorful fedoras are best for breaking up monochrome outfits for women, and transform the classic look.
- Consider styling your hair in a way that compliments your fedora. While you can leave your hair down or opt for a regular ponytail, you can also get creative. For instance, consider a graceful low side chignon or a Boho-inspired side braid to create a more sophisticated look. You can even look chic in a fedora with a short pixie haircut or curly hairstyle.
- Add a punch of color to your fedora for going out. For instance, this year’s Pantone color trend ‘Veri Peri’ looks amazing against a steel gray or black fedora. The bright blue-purple accent on your fedora paired with a chic cocktail dress or Little Black Dress will surely be a sophisticated show stopper!
- Go for the “cool” look by wearing a your fedora with a long, oversized crochet jacket and black ripped jeans. Paired with a chunky neck piece and a large fedora hat in the nude shade, you’ll make a fashion statement on a coffee date with your girl gang.
- For a more elegant look in the workplace, wear a fedora hat to your workplace along with a crisp white top and black palazzo pants. Too simple? Throw a rich velvet jacket over your shoulders for the ultimate professional, yet understated, look!
- Your fedora hat will look incredibly chic worn with cuffed denim pants and an oversized pink coat. Step out in style this spring and you’ll steal the show.
- To make heads turn at your office party, wearing a stunning pink or plum fedora with an elegant all-gray ensemble.
Tips to Choose the Right Fedora Hat
- Before choosing a Fedora, you’ll want to find the perfect hat size. Take accurate dimensions and measurements to learn your hat size. Simply follow the hat size charts provided on reputable online shopping sites.
- Decide on the type of fedora hat you would like to buy. That may depend on the occasion or your mood. For instance, are you looking for a straw Fedora hat? Something casual? Fancy? Formal? The fanciest fedoras have fur, while the casual hats may have leather straps.The good news is, you have access to all types of fedoras to suit every occasion.
- Consider the shape of the fedora when making your final choice. Look at the different brim sizes and types of side dents. Which one suits the shape of your face and features?Specific fedoras complement different types of facial structures or shapes. For example, if you have a more square facial shape, you will look great in a straw fedora hat with a center dent.
- You may choose the color and accents if you’re looking to match a certain outfit. A black fedora goes with practically all colors. If you have a specific outfit in mind, make sure that the color of your Fedora will enhance or accentuate the colors in your outfit.
Final Thoughts on Fedora Hat Style for Women
Fedora hats are available in so many colors and styles. Once you decide to add a fedora to your wardrobe, start shopping for one that suits you. Depending on your choice of outfit, the occasion, and the weather, you know how to pick the right fedora hat.
Who knows? Fedoras may even become part of your signature style. If that’s the case, you might also want to get yourself a good hat rack. That way, you can keep your fedoras on display and see your options at a glance.
When to Visit 36 Dreamy Destinations
You will instantly receive the FREE Month-by-Month Destination Guide