24 Hours in Venice During “Carnevale”

Visiting Venice, Italy During the Carnival

We were delighted to learn our trip to Italy coincided with Carnevale di Venezia. In addition to romantic gondolas navigating waterways of the Grand Canal and Italian baroque architecture, we were truly enchanted by costumed Carnevale guests. The weather at this time of year was cool and damp, but it was a small price to pay for the opportunity to experience the surreal world of Carnevale.

Gondolas, Gondolas, Everywhere

Beautiful Venice, Italy. Even an overcast day is picturesque.
The simple curves of the gondola are reminiscent of the waves themselves.
Along the piers, a row of gondolas await.
This gold and red gondola seems suitable for royalty. Now that’s traveling in style!
A dapper gondolier ushers one of many flat-bottomed boats through the Canal Grande with ease.
Seriously, what’s more romantic than a gondola ride through Venice, Italy?

'Seriously, what's more romantic than a gondola ride through Venice, Italy?' Click To Tweet

Baroque Architecture

There is no shortage of architectural beauty along the Grand Canal or throughout Venice.
Behold, the beautiful baroque exterior of Santa Maria della Salute (Our Lady of Health) as seen from the waterways the Grand Canal. Salute!
Layers of paint and resurfaced walls erode to reveal beautiful textures from years gone by. If only walls could talk…

Saint Mark’s Square

Saint Mark’s Cathedral is as ornate as cake frosting…amazing craftsmanship!
The Lion of Saint Mark overlooks the Piazza San Marco from high upon the clock tower, a renaissance artifact filled with meaningful symbols.
Friendly pigeons surprise a visitor to St. Mark’s Square!

Delicious Things to Taste

This is the best kind of window-shopping as far as I’m concerned…decisions, decisions. I’ll take one of each, please!
Al fresco dining is a welcome option after a touring the area by foot.
Delicious sandwich combinations on fresh-made ciabatta make a satisfying lunch. This on is pancetta, pickles, and provolone. Yum!

Wonderful Costumes

Colorful masks are everywhere in Venice. This one’s a bit sinister! Ready for Carnevale? It’s a great souvenir, too.
This mysterious woman wears an ornate mask and jewels that compliment her beauty.
An interesting character at Carnevale di Venezia is guarding…his heart?
Completely hidden beneath gold and white, this masquerader remains an elegant mystery!
These two colorful Carnevale enthusiasts remind me of Mad Hatters! Wonderful costumes!
Butterflies in whimsical motion adorn this colorful costume. Fun!
Finally, the woman in blue. She’s just stunning! Carnevale in Venice Italy…it’s surreal.

Which is Your Favorite?

We’d love to know which costume is your favorite. Let us know in the comments, below.

If you enjoyed this photo gallery of Venice, Italy, we invite you to follow Enjoy Travel Life on Instagram to see more photos from around the world.

© 2017 EnjoyTraveLlife.com All Rights Reserved

18 thoughts on “24 Hours in Venice During “Carnevale”

• November 22, 2017 at 6:59 pm

which is my favorite? that is a hard question to answer when it comes to Venice and all of these beautiful photos you showcase. being from New Orleans I’ve always been fascinated with Carnival or Mardi Gras as we call it, so going to Venice to experience a different version of the famous Festival to see those elaborate costumes would probably be my favorite, follow perhaps by riding all of the gondolas through the canals

• November 23, 2017 at 1:56 pm

That would make an interesting contrast, Carnival to Mardi Gras! Both so fun. Thanks for your kind words, Eric. I know you would enjoy Venice during Carnevale!

• November 23, 2017 at 4:46 am

Wow, I have never heard of this, but it looks fun! My favorite costume is the purple dress with pink shiny decorations – there are two people with them on in the picture.

• November 23, 2017 at 1:54 pm

It was really fun — a photographers’ dream. Those purple costumes were cool. Love the matching hats!

• November 23, 2017 at 5:01 am

I love Venice, but have never been for Carnival! (Hope to change that someday!) Your pics are gorgeous. Oh, and I think we have the same taste in window shopping! 😉 🙂

• November 23, 2017 at 1:52 pm

It was a great time to go, Stefanie. So glad you liked the pics. And, Italian pastry…Mmmmmm!

• November 24, 2017 at 4:53 pm

This photo gallery of Venice is amazing, you’ve really captured the essence of the city, even in the winter. I haven’t visited Venice yet, but hopefully I will one day! x

• November 25, 2017 at 3:43 am

Thank you, Becca! I hope you do visit – I promise you won’t be disappointed!

• January 17, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Venice is a place I would love to go to at whatever time of the year I can manage. But when the ‘carnevale’ is on, to supplement all the gondola, waterway and baroque romance? Now you’re talking! If I had to pick one favourite from the costumes above, it would have to be the rich and intricate Mad Hatter style outfits. Outlandish is good, as is a literary reference!

• January 18, 2018 at 7:54 pm

Ha ha, those Mad Hatters are outlandish! It was a bit surreal, with masqueraders on parade everywhere, birds landing on your arm, and that cake frosting ornamentation topping St. Marks Cathedral. I envisioned Tom Hanks showing up as he did in the DaVinci Code movies (no such luck)! Great place…I’ll be going back for sure.

• January 18, 2018 at 2:07 am

Aww it is my DREAM to go to Ave ice during the carnival. We went over the summer and loved Venice. You captured a lot of a Venice’s beauty in your photos. I love the photo of the two women in pink top hats!

• January 18, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Weren’t those top hats cool? So detailed! I’ll bet Venice is enchanting in the summer time. Thanks for enjoying my photos.

• January 18, 2018 at 3:18 am

Venice is somewhere I would love to tick off my list at some point and I’m sure being there during the carnival really added to it’s charm (I’ll have to make sure to go around the same time) My favourite would be the all white costume, it does have an air of mystery to it 😀 – By the way your pictures are amazing, really enticing 😀

• January 18, 2018 at 7:40 pm

I appreciate your kind words about my photography, Amit. The all white costume is a great one! The weather at the end of February was about 50F/10C, so it was comfortable, even though we hit an overcast damp day while in Venice. I would do it again! Hope you get a chance to visit, too.

• January 18, 2018 at 7:11 am

Venice is beautiful and romantic, and to visit it during the carnival must’ve been one awesome experience, I can imagine! Those costumes are amazing, I especially love the last one, the blue one. When I visited, it wasn’t during the carnival so I wasn’t lucky to see so many people in these costumes but I did see a lot of Venetian mask shops on the streets and absolutely loved them. I wanted to pick up a few but I didn’t know what I’d do with them 😀 Lovely pictures!

• January 18, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Thank you, Medha! The blue masquerader is one of my favorites, too. We planned our vacation around visiting my friend’s daughter who was studying abroad, and didn’t even realize our trip was during the carnival. At first, I was concerned it would be over-crowded, but we were pleasantly surprised. It was so fun to see such beautiful costumes!

• January 19, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Wow! As if I didn’t already want to go to Venice, now this makes me want to go even more. I’ll bet it was pretty busy during this festival though, right? Was it worth the crowds?

• January 24, 2018 at 9:17 pm

There weren’t as many crowds as you might think, Melanie! We were staying in Florence and made a day trip of it (via train), so weren’t worried about finding or affording accommodations during Carnevale, which I hear can be tricky. (It may be more crowded in July and August when the weather is warm.) We found it was a great time to visit Venice…I definitely recommend it!